Friday, June 13, 2014

Yeshivah World prohibits Rolled Up Sleeves on Shabbos without Eiruv for Some but for Others it is permitted???


Rabbi Moishe Dovid Lebovits of KOF-K Kosher Supervision, wrote a column on  Halacha for THEYESHIVAWORLD and has the following question:
"Is it permitted to roll up your sleeves and go out where there is no Eiruv? "
I'm not kidding!
My question: Can you put your Peios around your ear on Shabbos where there is no eiruv? How about wearing a Talis to go home after you finished davening, where there is no eiruv?

Anyway, after reading the "big" Shaaleh, I'm confused.
Will comment after the ruling and footnotes!
 
 
Rolled up Sleeves on Shabbos
There is a basis to permit wearing a shirt with the sleeves rolled up in a place that does not have an eiruv. (40) A person who is rolling up his sleeves because he is not interested in wearing a long sleeve shirt may not walk outside with his sleeves rolled up on Shabbos because the sleeve is regarded by him as a burden and not part of the garment. However, one who would not wear a short sleeve shirt for reasons of modesty or the like, and rolls up the sleeves because he feels it is more proper to wear it that way, may walk outside like that on Shabbos.(41)


[40]Emes L’Yaakov 301:footnote 337, Be’er Moshe 3:62, Shemiras Shabbos K’hilchoso 18:4.
[41] Horav Yisroel Belsky Shlita who heard this directly from Horav Moshe Feinstein zt”l. Refer to Migdal Dovid 4:page 1014:528a, The Shabbos Home 1:page 166:footnote 15

My comments in PURPLE
There is a basis to permit wearing a shirt with the sleeves rolled up in a place that does not have an eiruv.  A person who is rolling up his sleeves because he is not interested in wearing a long sleeve shirt may not walk outside with his sleeves rolled up on Shabbos because the sleeve is regarded by him as a burden and not part of the garment.

How about a guy like me, who hates formal white short sleeve shirts, but I wear my long sleeved shirts and roll them up,it's not a burden, that's the way I wear my shirts, I can't wear that now?

 However, one who would not wear a short sleeve shirt for reasons of modesty or the like,

What does "the like" mean and imply? Does "the like" mean because I don't like the look of formal short sleeve shirts?

 and rolls up the sleeves because he feels it is more proper to wear it that way, may walk outside like that on Shabbos.
So now I can wear it that way? Didn't you start by saying I can't?
Mr. Levovitz.... stick to donuts!


No comments: