Thursday, March 9, 2023

Jewish Italian translator Olga Padua refuses to translate for 'dangerous' Netanyahu in Rome

 

An Italian translator has refused to translate for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during his speech at a Rome synagogue over the weekend, calling him "dangerous."

Translator Olga Dalia Padua was contacted by the Israeli Embassy in Rome, and wrote about her refusal on Facebook: "Not only do I not share Netanyahu's political views, but his leadership is extremely dangerous in my view when it comes to democracy in Israel. What's more: if I agree to cooperate in translating his words, my children will not forgive me."

"I tried to convince them that it was only a matter of work, and that if I refused, my gesture would change almost nothing - but they were not ready to accept any explanation. They amazed me: they usually seem to have little hope for the future of the human race during these troubled and turbulent times, and they always encourage me to take on new jobs. But in this case they were determined: they will not cooperate with those who promote fascist principles and suppress freedom, they simply will not do it. I decided to listen to them," Padua said.

Netanyahu will depart for Italy tomorrow. During his visit, he will visit the Jewish Museum of Rome and meet with the Jewish community at the city's Sephardi Synagogue. On Friday he will meet with Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni.

No comments: