“I don’t speak because I have the power to speak; I speak because I don’t have the power to remain silent.” Rav Kook z"l

Saturday, September 19, 2026

Breslov Chassid From Beitar Arrested Returning From Uman, Drafted Into Ukrainian Army

 

A 49-year-old Breslov Chassid from Beitar Illit and father of six was arrested at the Romanian border while returning to Israel from Uman following Rosh Hashanah, after Ukrainian authorities reportedly determined that he was subject to military conscription.

The man, an Israeli citizen who was born in Ukraine and has lived in Israel for many years, was reportedly stopped during a document inspection. According to a source familiar with the incident, after he spoke to authorities in Ukrainian, he was taken aside for further questioning, where officials discovered that he was obligated to serve in the Ukrainian military.

He was subsequently detained and reportedly drafted into the Ukrainian military. His family has since lost all contact with him and does not know where he is being held or stationed.

Breslov askanim are working urgently to secure his release, reaching out to Rabbanim, community figures and individuals with connections in Ukraine. However, those involved say that thus far they have been unable to find a solution.

An askan familiar with the case said the family does not have the financial resources to hire an attorney and fears that he could remain in Ukraine for an extended period.

According to the report, Israel’s Foreign Ministry told the family that officials are first attempting to determine the man’s whereabouts, which currently remain unknown.

No comments: