“I don’t speak because I have the power to speak; I speak because I don’t have the power to remain silent.” Rav Kook z"l

Monday, August 3, 2026

Oct. 7 survivor commits suicide on the grave of his girlfriend who was murdered by Hamas

 

An Oct. 7 survivor died by suicide over the grave of his girlfriend, who had been murdered by Hamas.

The body of Bar Asraf, 30, was found at the cemetery Saturday. His partner, Liron Barda, was working at a bar at the Nova Music Festival when Hamas attacked, and she tended the wounded until she was killed. She was 26.

Jérémy Benhaïm, a French Jewish activist, broke the news of Asraf’s death, posting on X that “Since the pogrom of Oct. 7, 2023, during which his partner, Liron Barda, was murdered by Hamas, Bar had been struggling … Throughout this period, he had remained very close to Liron’s parents, visiting them regularly.”

“The horror of Oct. 7, it’s also this,” Benhaïm added. “Let us never forget. May his memory be a blessing.”

Video footage of Barda on Oct. 7 shows her administering first aid to victims of the attack. Her father told an Israeli outlet that he had begged her to escape.

“I spoke to her that morning. I asked her to leave the area. She refused; she said there were wounded people, and she was staying,” said her father, Avi. “This was Liron. I would have been surprised if she agreed to flee.”

If you or someone you know is struggling with suicidal thoughts or experiencing a mental health crisis, call or text the 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline at 988 to speak with a trained listener. For emotional crisis support, you can also text HELLO to 741741 to speak with a trained listener. The free, confidential service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Call 911 if there is an immediate danger.

No comments: