“I don’t speak because I have the power to speak; I speak because I don’t have the power to remain silent.” Rav Kook z"l

Sunday, July 26, 2026

Bnei Brak Pauses Gender-Separated Sidewalk Plan after Outrage from residents

 

 Bnei Brak Pauses Gender-Separated Sidewalk Plan

The city of Bnei Brak has suspended a proposed plan to designate separate walking sides for men and women after it sparked widespread criticism and legal objections in Bnei-Brak itself.

The initiative was intended for parts of Shlomo Hamelech and Ezra streets, where large crowds frequently gather for weddings. Local rabbinic leaders supported the idea, as a way to improve pedestrian flow, but never consulted their own congregants that were appalled and outraged. The signs were briefly put up before being taken down.

Following the backlash, city officials clarified that the proposal will not become a permanent feature. Instead, any separation would only be considered as a temporary crowd-management measure during particularly busy events.

No comments: