Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Photo of Hillel Fuld and Chaya Raichik Photoshopped to Look Like Pair Smiling in Gaza War Zone

 


 Two renowned orthodox Jewish influencers with massive social media followings, were targeted by an antisemitic online troll who did something truly disgraceful.

Hillel Fuld, a global speaker, successful entrepreneur and online activist, and Chaya Raichik, aka LibsofTiktok, met in Israel this week. They posted a picture of themselves on X with a beautiful view in the background. Yet a vicious antisemite reposted the exact photo of the pair smiling, showing the destruction in Gaza in the background.

Fuld posted the following description of events:


An X tale, and sit down for this.

I’ve spoken a lot about the abuse that I, and many of my fellow colleagues get on X. I am always reluctant to share details because I don’t want to give the abusers the attention.

But this story, I have to share.

So earlier this morning, I met Chaya Raichik, the woman who started one of the fastest growing X accounts, Libs of TikTok, at the Sheraton hotel in Tel Aviv.

We sat in the lounge, talked Israel, talked X, and shared stories.

At the end of the meeting, we took a picture in front of the beautiful view.

You can see that picture on the top left.

Anyway… Fast forward a few hours and my X account is blowing up, mostly from trolls.

Something must have happened.

Turns out, an account with nearly a million followers took our photo, cut us out of the background, and pasted us into a background of Gaza. That person then shared it as if we are standing in front of the destruction in Gaza and smiling.

The tweet went absolutely insane with hundreds of reposts, thousands of likes, and over 100,000 views.

Thankfully, I have some legit followers who got on the case immediately. Someone added a community note saying that the photo was digitally manipulated to depict Chaya and me in front of the rubble in Gaza.

Great, so now people will know.

But, what about the tens of thousands who already saw it? Think about the damage to Chaya’s reputation, my reputation, and Israel’s reputation.

Now multiply this story by a thousand and now you are beginning to understand the poison that exists on X and the reason so many people out there believe lies about Israel. After all, two Jewish influencers are standing, smiling, and taking a selfie in front of rubble with dead bodies buried under it.

Trust me when I tell you, this isn’t even the worst thing that happened to me today on X. Not even close.

Welcome to the dark side of social media.

 

No comments: