Saturday, October 16, 2021

This Past Friday was the 865th Anniversary of the Rambam's Ascent to the Har Habayis




In the above photo, you can clearly see the Rambam's writing in his own handwriting stating that he went up to the Har Habyis. He was accompanied by his father, his brother Dovid and the Chief Rabbi of Akko.

I already talked about this previously and here is the translation of the Rambam's writing about this episode.

 BTW the Rambam mentions this at least 3 times and made a Yom Tov every year on the 6th of Chesvan to commemorate this event .

"In the 26th year of Creation, We left Akko to go up to Yerushalyim under dangerous conditions, and we entered the Great Holy Building; we prayed there on Wednesday the 6th day of the month of Cheshven.I vowed that  I will celebrate this date as a holiday, with prayer, food, drink and happiness to Hashem,G-d should help me with everything to assist me in fulfilling my vows, Amein!And just as I merited to pray in its ruins, I and all of the Jewish people should merit to see in its rebuilding, soon, Amein!"

And in his famous Igeeret Timan, the Rambam repeats this visit for a third time:
יצאנו מן המערב,לחזות בנועם השם, ולבקר מקום קדשו 

" we left from the West, to glance at the Sweetness of Hashem and visited His Holy Abode."

No comments: