Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Meron Disaster: Committee finds Netanyahu personally responsible .... He let the Chareidie Rabbis Do Whatever They Want

 


DIN: The year before this terrible tragedy occurred, I and a neighbor went to Meron on Lag Be'Omar to celebrate with the Jewish community, Lag Be'Omer. After all, this is THE celebration.

As I went up the mountain I marveled at the amount of people that were there and at the fact that all types of Jews were represented. I was mamash watching with amazement at the amount of free food and drinks being distributed. The people serving the thousands were serving with patience and a smile and wishing every single Jew a "Chag Samaich".
I had been to Meron many times but never on Lag Be'Omer! The harmony and the achdus made me proud of my people and my nation. 

I then tried to do what I came for in the first place, and that was to get to the actual tzion of the great Tanna, R' Shimon ben Yochai. This is not the time or the place to discuss whether the Tanna is actually buried there, or that he even passed away on Lag Be'Omar,  suffice it to say the fact that Jews from all denominations gather to honor this great Tanna, was good enough for me. I was confident that Hashem was happy with all of us, after all, we all came together for the greater good.

I couldn't get anywhere close, there was pushing and shoving, the young pushed the older ones, and the older ones shoved and pushed the younger ones. It was a pushing-and-shoving match!

 The last time I witnessed something like that was when I was all but 14 years old, when my father ז"ל took me on Hoshana Rabba to watch a "Tzaddik Yesoid Olam" the Satmar Rebbe, R' Yoel Teitelbaum ז"ל do Hoshanas on Bedford Avenue in Brooklyn. It was 4:00 PM and he was still up to the second hakafa of Hoshanas. As the rebbe circled I wanted to see his holy face, so I pushed myself right in front of him, but as soon as I took a glimpse, his gabbai that shall remain nameless whipped me with his gartel across my face knocking my glasses off and giving me a red stripe on my face that served as a reminder of the incident for the next 8 weeks. I saw the rebbe and I saw stars! 

I divert, so going back to my Meron experience, I didn't want to push and shove, so when I saw a small break in the crowd I entered very slowly but then I panicked and  I tried backing out, I couldn't, I couldn't go backward and I couldn't go forward. and I suddenly realized that I didn't have to do anything the crowd that was leaving the tzion just pushed me out as if I was riding a wave at the Tel Aviv Beach. Mind you, this was about 2:00PM. Children were crying, adults were looking where their children were, and there was complete chaos and mayhem. How anyone could daven and say a prayer was beyond my understanding. 
But I still wanted the Lag Be'Omar experience so as I existed the tzion, I heard a band playing with thousands singing. There was a huge stadium right next door, where all this was taking place. I entered a long passageway and as I got inside I saw thousands dancing in circles while in the middle were hundreds of fathers' giving three year-olds their first haircuts. It was a touching sight, and after watching this for over a half hour I decided to head out. 

I noticed that the exit was also the entrance that I had just come into. I asked my neighbor "Is there another exit?" He laughed and said "no. this is how its been done for decades. " 
Keep in mind that I am not a youngster, and as I tried getting out, I couldn't, as there was a crowd pouring in at the same time. Suddenly I noticed a break in the amount of people coming in and I took advantage and ran out as if I was being chased by a hungry tiger. 

I decided to go home though I didn't even get a chance to say some tehillim. As I sat on the bus back to Beit Shemesh, I noticed a Yated sitting on my seat, someone must have left it there, and I started perusing it .... lo and behold, I noticed articles lamenting the fact that the Zionists were warning about the dangerous situation and predicting a disaster. The writer said, that the Zionists were trying to control the Mount, and therefore the dire warnings, but they wrote that no one had anything to worry about as this was being done for decades without any accidents. Which of course is a huge lie, but this is not the time to discuss this. 

I personally didn't need any Zionist warnings as I witnessed it myself with my very own eyes.
 But  I was shocked to see that one of the signers of a Kol Korah against the "Zionist Takeover" was Rabbi Scheiner z"l who I knew personally as he would come to New York to raise funds and step in my home for a piece of cake and some hot tea. I made a mental note to ask him about it if I saw him again, unfortunately, I only saw him briefly at the Sium Hashas in Yerushalayim and he was so frail and feeble that I couldn't bring myself to ask him about that. 
Aryeh Deri the leader of Shas made a campaign against the Government having any control and he managed to keep them out and even keep the police anywhere near the mount. The only police that I saw were a handful directing traffic in and out of the mount. There wasn't anyone directing the huge crowds. I remember coming home and telling my wife "A disaster waiting to happen, I am never going back there again on Lag Be'Omer."
I have been at the kotel when there was "Birchas Kohanim' when at least 100,00 people attend, everything is orderly and managed by the police. I have been at Kever Rachel on her yurzeit many times, where thousands come in and out all day; no problem all managed by the Israeli Police. But the Sfardie Rabbis who controlled the Mount wanted no Zionists playing a part not even security. 
Why? You ask naively? 
This Lag Be'Omar thing is a HUGE fundraiser, they call it "Chai Rotel" and manage to get donations in the millions of DOLLARS.... $$$$$$$ ..... not Shekels! If the Zionists controlled the Mount they would be controlling security, the food etc, and the Zionists would put the Rabbinate on the board knocking out the money-hungry Sfardim who use this event to schnoor! I am sure that there were rabbis like R' Scheiner Z'L  who opposed it for altruistic reasons. The Chassidim especially the Satmar guys flying in from the USA are opposed because they don't want Zionists in control. I just saw last week's  DER GOY say that the "Zionists will Control the mount" Chas Ve'sholom, and that should be fought!
This Meron disaster and tragedy could have been avoided and I place the complete blame yes on Netanyahu who gave into pressure from the Aryeh Deris and the like. Blood is on their hands, absolutely! All the Rabbanim that signed the Kol Koras prior to this 2021 tragedy telling Jews to fight the Zionist takeover of the mount are עתיד ליתן דין וחשבון

Read the article after the break 

Three years following the incident, the committee of inquiry into the Meron disaster has published its findings.

The Meron disaster occurred on Lag B'Omer in 2021, at the tomb of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai in Meron. 45 people died in a crowd crush incident, and more than 100 were wounded.

Prime Minister Netanyahu was found personally responsible: 

“Based on all the materials and testimonies presented to us, and our direct impression of them, we conclude that Netanyahu knew that the tomb had been deficiently maintained for years and that this was likely to lead to mass endangerment of those visiting the site, especially on Lag B'Omer. Even if, out of caution, we were to assume Netanyahu did not have specific knowledge of the matter, in this context, he should have.”

“The Prime Minister is intentionally responsible for the site, and either himself or parties under his direction have responsibility for things which require the attention of his office or even his personal involvement, especially when lives are at stake. This responsibility is even more obvious following the Carmel disaster and what the State Comptroller wrote in the report about it.”

“In the context described, the Prime Minister should have identified the need for care for the site, as it was that kind of matter; if not proactively, then certainly after the matter had been raised repeatedly in a manner that clearly indicates that the problems associated with it had not been solved and that they continue to endanger visitors' lives.”

“Following our conclusion that Netanyahu knew about, or should have known about, the deficient maintenance of the site and the dangers implicit in that to the visitors, we find that he should have acted to remedy this. The steps taken in this context were insufficient. This is particularly true when considering that he knew that cabinet decisions made in this regard or not implemented.”

Former Public Security Minister Minister Amir Ohana was found to be personally responsible, and the committee recommended that he not be reappointed to the position.

Former Minister of Religious Services Rabbi Yaakov Avitan was found personally responsible, and recommended, in light of the evidence regarding his position, that he never be appointed as a minister again.

Regarding Police Commissioner Kobi Shabbtai, the committee recommended that he be dismissed from his position, but considering the unique context of the war, left the government to decide when the best time for that would be.

Regarding the Director of the National Center for Development of the Holy Sites in Israel, Yosef Sheunger, the committee stated: “Sheunger bears personal responsibility, and the evidence against him is particularly severe. The committee recommends that he immediately leave his position as the director and that he never again be employed in any other position connected to the site or the Lag B'Omer celebrations.”

Regarding Rabbi Shmuel Rabinowitz, the Rabbi of the Holy Places, the committee found: “Accounting for all the circumstances in which he acted, and the actions that he took to improve the situation, and according to the approach concerning a situation where there is reasonable concern that a person may be unjustly impugned despite having done the best he could, the committee has decided not to hold Rabbi Rabinowitz personally responsible.”

Shimon Lavi, the commander of the Northern District of the Israel Police, was found personally responsible: “The committee finds Lavi personally responsible and notes that he took responsibility immediately following the incident and that he later drew personal conclusions and resigned from his position. As such, the committee has decided that Lavi has done as expected of a commander and followed the values of the police leadership. The committee notes that since June 30th, 2023, he no longer serves in the Israel Police. In light of this, the committee will satisfy Itself by presenting the evidence and conclusions as listed in the report.”

The chief of security for the fateful celebration, Reuven Ben-Gal, was blamed: “The committee finds Ben-Gal personally responsible, and recommends that he never again be hired as chief of security for large events. Additionally, the committee recommends that the Attorney General examine the evidence regarding the civilian security measures in place and consider whether to continue investigating the matter.”

The report adds: “The disaster could and should have been prevented. the writing was on the wall well before the disaster, like the prayers written on the walls of the tomb. It was clear and concise, but remained unaddressed.”

“The painful results likely to occur we're also known. like in a Greek tragedy, the end is clear from the beginning. it was unknown when or on whose shift, or in which part of the site. It was impossible to know what price would be paid, how many celebrants would pay with their lives and health, how many families would be left shattered, but it was clear that a disaster was certain to occur.”

“We have found an evil culture within our home, which led to the disaster on Mt. Meron. The writing on the wall was known to everyone for years. This disaster could have been prevented, and there were those who were obligated to prevent it.”

The Committee was led by former Supreme Court president Miriam Naor. After her resignation, retired justice Devorah Berliner took her place. Other members of the committee included General Shlomo Yanai and former Bnei Brak mayor Mordechai Karelitz.

None of the parties named in the report, except Shimon Lavi, have resigned since the disaster.

The government is not obligated by law to implement the committee's decisions, which may include punitive measures and recommending the commencement of criminal investigations against those responsible for the disaster.

Approximately a year and a half ago, members of the committee sent warning letters to a number of senior officials who were involved in the decision-making process ahead of the disaster. Among those who received such letters were Prime Minister Netanyahu, former Ministers Amir Ohana and Yaakov Avitan, Police Commissioner Kobi Shabbtai, Northern District commander Shimon Lavi, and the head of the security department of the Israel Police, Morris Chen.

3 comments:

Instead of blaming far away people, focus on the people involved in promoting the event said...

Of interest, but this focuses on public officials, and some of the "Chareidi" and other private people that acted improperly are left alone.

Why are fingers pointed at public officials while others get off easy? The people involved in it need to be heled responsible even if they are part of one Hasidic sect or another.

Dugri said...

As is known by people in the know, many gedolim (both Hasidic, and non-Hasidic) davka do not go to Meiron on Lag Ba'omer, and that has been the case for many years. That includes very large sects such as Gur, Belz, Vizhnitz, etc. And the Litvishe leaders don't go either.

So the image that they promote, that it is a universal celebration, of all streams and sects, is not correct, it is a lie, a scam.

תודה רבה said...

DIN: Thanks for sharing your personal recollections.