Thursday, April 23, 2020

Peter Weiss Succumbs to Corona ........ Childhood Friend of DIN

I knew Peter for over 50 years, but I found this hespid in JewishVues that sums it all up ....

April 13 2020, the third day of Chol hamoed Pesach, will unfortunately always be etched in my heart. That was the day I lost my dear friend R’ Shloime Zev Weiss z”l, affectionately known as Peter. 

I recently heard from R’ Shaul Alter Shlita, Gerrer Rosh Yeshiva, that Pesach is a zman Simcha, and therefore עצבות is prohibited. However לב שברון coupled with שמחה ,is not a contradiction 

Peter and I got to know each other almost 20 years ago. He had the character trait of שווים ופיו לבו .He said it the way he saw it. He wouldn’t mince any words. He gave you the straight scoop. He was a smart man. His advice was on the money, whether you liked it or not He started davening in Agudas Yisroel Bais Binyomin around the time that Rav Breuer Shlita became Rov of the shul. His love for torah had no bounds and he wanted to absorb all he could from this Talmid Chochom. We started learning bechavrusa about 10 years ago.

 Peter’s knowledge of Torah was immense and his love for Torah was genuine. When we would start our learning, I would often tell him a דבדיחותא מילתא .If I took too long, he would turn to me and say “Herr aufmit die shtissim, lommer lernen a bissel”. 
KINDLY SUPPORT OUR BLOG BY BROWSING THE ADS
THANKS SO MUCH, IT MEANS A LOT ESPECIALLY IN THESE DIFFICULT TIMES!


I was constantly in awe of the tremendous level of learning, from what appeared to be a simple Baal Habaas. He schlepped me to shiurim by different Rabonim; He was so excited when he found a new source of learning; He learned with another chavrusa in Israel via Skype; He learned in the morning with a chavrusa right after davening. 

I once asked him, now that he was pretty much retired, what he does all day. With a shy look on his face, Peter admitted that he’d been going to the Machon L’Horaa Kollel and learning there every day from 10-2. He asked me to please not repeat this, as he didn’t want to appear to be boasting about his learning. Even that was done .בהצנע לכת

 Peter had a טוב לב .When It came to Tzedakka matters, he always jumped to be from the שבקדושה דבר לכל וראשון ראש .He never hesitated to help when I asked him, whether it was for רבים צרכי or to help out an individual. He even admonished me once for not having asked him about a particular Tzedaka. I answered that I felt I had asked him too many times. Peter was not appeased. He told me that I had no right to decide where he gives his Tzedaka, as I was just a Shliach.

How did he take a Toiva that he was doing for someone and reverse it to make them feel like they were doing a Toiva for him. I once had an opportunity to invest in a piece of real estate. The money I had earmarked for it was tied up and in order to get the best deal, I would have to come up with the money immediately. I happened to mention it to Peter, and ten minutes later, he showed up in my office with a check. He said to me “I didn’t want you to worry or be afraid that you would lose the deal, so here is a check”. I was speechless. Who thinks like that. These are the actions of a person who only thinks of how he can make another person feel comfortable. 

A few weeks ago, my wife and I had a family simcha in Flatbush. Since we moved to Toms River almost a year ago, we needed a place to stay for Shabbos. I called Peter to ask him if he and Miriam would be able to accommodate us. He didn’t just say yes. He was so excited to be able to offer us his Hachnosas Orchim. They certainly did not disappoint. They worried about every detail to make us feel comfortable and at home and went out of their way to spend time talking to us as well. Before leaving on Motzei Shabbos, he proudly showed me the study he built in his house. It’s not really a study, it’s more like a small Bais Hamedrash. You could feel how the walls are absorbed with the Torah he learned there. 

But through all this, one of the points that impressed me most about Peter, was his relationship with his children and grandchildren. When we weren’t learning, Peter would spend hours telling me every detail of the trips that he and Miriam were planning with their grandchildren to Eretz Yisroel. He would make sure to make the trips both fun, by coming up with original activities, and meaningful, by spending time at the Mekomos Hakedoishim and visiting the Gedoilim there. I’m sure that those he had a chance to take the trip with, will remember the time with him forever.

Peter, you were unfortunately not zoyche to the proper Kavod Achron. כהלכה סימן יפה הוא לו that say Chazal from heard once I. איש שמת ואינו נספד the Gaaved of Yerushalayim, Rav Tuvia Weiss Shlita, who said in the name of Rav Chaim Kreiswirth zt”l, that כהלכה שלא means that we were unable to be maspid the Niftar הלכה פי על the way he deserved it, because he was niftar in a period when Hesped is not allowed. 

Peter, you left me with so many memories that I will cherish forever. You were my friend, you were my mentor, you were my chavrusa, you were my rebbe. You left a hole in my heart. I told you often, I want to be you when I grow up. I miss you. I miss your kindness, I miss your smile and I miss your huge heart. May you be a יושר מליץ for Miriam, Michelle, Stevie, Chaim and all your יהא זכרו ברוך .grandchildren

No comments: