Monday, June 14, 2021

She wept loudly, “how could I abandon my People?”


This appeared in last week's TorahTidbits
by Judah Mischel

It was 1946 and R’ Chaim Tzvi Schwartz, a young survivor and Munkatcher chasid who had lost his family in the war, was in search of direction and chizuk. He went to meet with Rebbe Yosef Yitzchak, the Frierdiker (Previous) Lubavitcher Rebbe in NewYork. The Frierdiker Rebbe blessed him and referred R’ Chaim Tzvi to his dynamic son-in-law and future successor, Reb Men- achem Mendel Schneerson. The meeting with the Rebbe’s son-in-law led him on an unexpected personal and professional path, as Reb Menachem Mendel suggested that he move to Brazil to serve the Jewish refugees settling there: “You will play a role in strengthening Jewish identity and encouraging mitzvah observance in Brazil.”

R’ Chaim Tzvi accepted the shlichus and embarked on a lifelong mission to assist in rebuilding Yiddishkeit for a community of survivors in Brazil, founding a school, shul and community service organizations. A year after the passing of the Frierdiker Rebbe in 1950, Reb Menachem Mendel assumed leadership of the Lubavitchmovement and became Rebbe. From time to time, Rabbi Schwartz would seek the Rebbe’s advice on various communal issues, and over the years they maintained an infrequent but warm contact. Though he was filled with gratitude for the Rebbe’s advice and was an avid admirer — even carrying a small photo of the Rebbe in his wallet — R’ Chaim Tzvi did not identify as a Lubavitcher, and it would be many years until he fully appreciated the Rebbe’s vision and reach.

R’ Chaim Tzvi once related an incident to Rabbi Aaron Dov Halperin, the founder and long-time editor of Kfar Chabad maga- zine. A Brazilian Jewish family had reached out to him concerning their oldest daugh- ter who had fallen in love and become engaged to a gentile. The parents had tried everything to dissuade her, but to no avail, and in desperation turned to R’ Chaim Tzvi, the local rabbi.

“I took the address from her parents and went to meet her that evening. While visibly annoyed to learn of my mission, she was well mannered and respectful; we ended up speaking for several hours. The conversation was heated but polite; she didn’t show much interest in Jewish tradition, and she remained dead set on marrying her fiance. I didn’t feel like I had made much progress. For several days after that, I racked my brain, trying to think of what might possibly be done to prevent the intermarriage. Finally I decided to take a chance and call the Lubavitcher Rebbe.

“I picked up the phone, rang Rabbi Hodakov, the Rebbe’s secretary, related the details of the entire affair, and requested the Rebbe’s advice on how to proceed. I expressed my gratitude and hung up. Moments later, my phone rang. It was Rabbi Hodakov: ‘The Rebbe says to go back to the young woman and tell her that there is a Jew in Brooklyn who cannot sleep at night because she intends to marry a non-Jew.’

“Confused about the meaning of Rabbi Hodakov’s remark, I stammered, ‘Wait... What? Who? Which Jew cannot sleep?’ I then heard the Rebbe’s own voice speak- ing: ‘Tell her that his name is Mendel Schneerson.’

“After gingerly returning the receiver to its cradle, I was even more confused than before. Perhaps the Rebbe misunderstood how adamant the bride-to-be was. Maybe he didn’t fully grasp her indifference to Jewish tradition. Could I actually follow through with such a strange course of action? On the other hand... how could I not?

“Early the next morning, I was at her door. Before I could even say hello, she began snapping at me: ‘Listen, I was cour- teous and heard you out as a man of faith and out of respect to my parents. But how I choose to live my life is my business. I am getting married this weekend, and that is final. Please stop bothering me and leave me alone!’

“I took a deep breath, braced myself. ‘I’m so sorry... I just need to say one more thing. There is a Jew in Brooklyn who cannot sleep at night because you intend to marry a non-Jew.’

“As she was preparing to slam the door on my face, she stopped abruptly. ‘What did you say? What are you talking about? Who is this Jew?’

“Swallowing, I managed to squeeze the words out of my mouth: ‘There is a tzadik in Brooklyn, New York, known as the Lubavitcher Rebbe. His name is RebbeMenachem Mendel Schneerson... He is known to be personally concerned about the material and spiritual wellbeing of every Jew, and agonizes over every soul that is lost to its People... He asked me to come here again today to tell you that he can’t sleep....’”

Visibly shaken, the young woman asked, “What does he look like? Maybe you have a picture of him?” After years of counter-in- tuitively carrying a small black and white photo of the Rebbe in his wallet, R’ Chaim Tzvi swiftly removed it and handed it over. With one glance at the Rebbe’s likeness, her face turned pale. “It’s him!” she whispered,

and began to weep.
“All week long this man has been 
appearing in my dreams! His piercing stare is unmistakable... Every night I wake up startled seeing his eyes filled with tears. I told myself that the dream came from ‘cold feet’, or that I was just over-reacting to my parents’ pressure and conjuring up an image of a Jewish sage... In my entire life I have never seen or met this man, nor even heard his name. But those eyes...

“I don’t know what he wants from me! And I don’t know the first thing about being Jewish... but...,” she wept loudly, “how could I abandon my People?”

KINDLY SUPPORT OUR BLOG BY BROWSING THE ADS

THANKS SO MUCH,, IT MEANS THE WORLD TO US IN THESE DIFFICULT TIME

 

9 comments:

yidlmitnfidl said...

Wow!

Uriah’s Wife said...

...This appeared in last week's TorahTidbits
by Judah Mischel
It was 1946 and R’ Chaim Tzvi Schwartz, a young survivor and Munkatcher chasid who had lost his family in the war, was in search of direction and chizuk. ...

Is this true history or just another chasidishe Bubbe Meise?
Has anyone corroborated this tall-tale sounding fish story? Is there anyone who was asked asked to verify this tale? Is there anyone alive who can?

Dusiznies said...

Uriah’s Wife
It is a beautiful story .... and as for your question whether there is anyone alive who could verify the story...
you can ask that question about all stories of the Baal Shem or any of the chassidishe stories, you ca also ask that question about all the stories in the gemmarah....
interesting that you added "Bubbe Meisa" which is actually a derogatory term used by the yiddishists for making fun of all the gemaarah stories, "bubba" comes from Bava Metzia, Bava Kamma,and Bava Basra...

You know you don't have to believe this story, it's not Torah, but for those of us that admired the Lubavitcher rebbe z"l it gives us chizuk .... you can get your chizzuk from reading Der Yid

ThisisMoe said...

We hear many stories of tzadikim you cannot down play them all. There are too many of them with all types of Rebbes. Unfortunately,we don't appreciate them when they are alive. Only when they are gone do we feel the terrible loss and void in the world.

FYI said...

"interesting that you added "Bubbe Meisa" which is actually a derogatory term used by the yiddishists for making fun of all the gemaarah stories, "bubba" comes from Bava Metzia, Bava Kamma,and Bava Basra..."

That's not where the term comes from.

This is what it is from -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovo-Bukh

"The Bovo-Bukh later became known in the late 18th century as Bove-mayse "Bove's tale". This name was corrupted into bube mayse "grandmother's tale", meaning "old wives' tale". [Liptzin, 1972, 7]"

בבקשה said...

"you can ask that question about all stories of the Baal Shem or any of the chassidishe stories, you ca also ask that question about all the stories in the gemmarah...."

Please don't compare things in the gemara to Hasidic tales.

אינו דומה - להבדיל

Uriah’s Wife said...

That’s right. I do ask the same question about the tall tales of Bal Shem Tov and Gemarra.
Why wouldn’t you be skeptical? Do they sound real? Are there any corroborations?
If you take pleasure in the sentiments of these Bubba Meises, go right ahead and enjoy yourself, as long as you recognize that’s exactly what they are.

FYI said...

Judah Mischel is one of the Modern Orthodox turned neo-Hasidic disciples of Rebbe Moishie Weinberger from Woodmere.

פתי יאמין לכל דבר - משלי יד:טו

Dusiznies said...

FYI
Oh ok ,,,that makes him a kook and a nut case.....
thanks for adding a pasuk from Mishle...
I'll give you a pasuk from the Torah written hundreds of years before Shlomo Hamelech wrote Mishle
ואהבת לרעך כמך